September 13, 2011
AUGUST 24 – SEPEMBER 13, 2011
TOP O’ THE NEWS
- Personal connections
A couple more news items this week about products that help guests by-pass the front desk when checking in set me thinking. This approach isn’t something that appeals to me personally, but there’s clearly a demand for it or so many vendors and hotel companies wouldn’t be experimenting with it.
When arriving at a hotel, I (and many others I’ve discussed this with) usually feel a sense of relaxation, almost of coming home even for a short while, and welcome the warmth of a human greeting. If there’s a long, long line of guests waiting to check-in I’ll certainly look around for a kiosk, but in general a personal smile and sense of contact mean a lot. It’s not just the feeling of being personally appreciated for my business and as a human being, it’s also a small but valued reassurance that someone at the property knows I’m there.
So here’s a question for those of you who would much prefer to by-pass the desk every time and get straight to your room quickly and without distraction: is a personal connection with the property unimportant to you, or do you get that feeling some other way, such as through personalized pre-arrival e-mails or other messages? Does the cool satisfaction of using the latest tech approach matter more, even if it takes a couple more steps than just waving or swiping a card? Is personal safety in case of an emergency not something you think about, or do you assume that the hotel, through its technology, will know you’re on property and make sure you’re safe?
OK, that’s more than one question, but I’m genuinely curious as to what matters more to you. Drop me a note at jonjoningecom and let me know. Thanks!
- Tina Stehle promoted to SVP and COO at Agilysys
- Tony Ross promoted to VP Sales for Hospitality Solutions at Agilysys Hospitality Solutions Group
- Brad Becker appointed Chief Experience Officer at buuteeq
- Rob Frerichs appointed VP of Sales North America at buuteeq
- Rachel Grier joins Pegasus Solutions as VP business development, ASPAC
- Eric Mason joins NAVIS as EVP, strategy and corporate development
- John Hameline appointed Account Manager – United States by Intello
- Simon Ferguson joins Travelport as regional director, UK and Ireland
- Tim James hired by EZYield as Regional Director of Sales, UK and Ireland
- Paul Mazzuchelli has joined SPI Software as Senior Project Manager
- OpenTravel announces 2011-2012 board of directors
Tina Stehle has been promoted to senior vice president and chief operating officer at Agilysys; she was previously senior vice president and general manager for Agilysys’ Hospitality Solutions Group, and will continue to report to President and CEO Jim Dennedy. Ms. Stehle was vice president, Software Services at Inter-American Data (IAD), which was acquired by Agilysys in 2004; she had earlier held primary responsibility for software development and technical services at Flagler Computer Software, and served in various senior-level capacities for Federal Express, Cox Communications and D’Arcy MacManus Masius.
Tony Ross has been promoted from regional sales director to Vice President Sales for Hospitality Solutions at Agilysys Hospitality Solutions Group, reporting to Jim Dennedy. Mr. Ross joined Inter-American Data (IAD) in 1993, where he served in various sales roles, transitioning to hospitality software sales in 1999. He had earlier served as production area lead for Micromeritics Instrument Corp. from 1984 to 1988, when he joined Rockwell International Missile Systems Division as area group coordinator in circuit board assembly and missile system production.
Brad Becker has been appointed Chief Experience Officer at digital marketing provider buuteeq. Mr. Becker brings twenty years of experience in web design and development; for the last several years he was a Director at Microsoft responsible for Azure, Silverlight, .NET, Visual Studio and Expression Studio, and had earlier been the first Product Designer hired at Macromedia (now Adobe), responsible for Flash and Flex.
Rob Frerichs has been appointed VP of Sales North America at buuteeq. With twenty years of experience, Mr. Frerichs most recently led the SeattleTimes.com online sales strategy. He was earlier Vice President of Sales at LocalMarketers.com, led the sales effort at pre-IPO MarketLeader.com and inside sales for the wireless division of USWEST communications (now CenturyLink).
Rachel Grier has joined Pegasus Solutions as vice president of business development, Asia-Pacific (ASPAC). Ms. Grier brings more than 20 years of experience, most recently in senior roles with large international groups such as Intercontinental Hotels Group. She has spent the last eight years of her career in Asia.
Eric Mason has joined leisure revenue systems provider NAVIS as executive vice president, strategy and corporate development. With 18 years experience in the hospitality industry, Mr. Mason was most recently vice president global product development at Wyndham Exchange and Rentals. He had earlier served as managing director for Group RCI – Pacific and has held various leadership roles within Marriott, Cendant, Wyndham Worldwide, SynXis and other companies.
John Hameline has been appointed as Account Manager – United States by Internet service and digital signage vendor Intello, heading up its new office in the United States. Mr. Hameline has extensive experience in wired and wireless product sales management with several telecommunications companies and has held management positions with TDS Telecom and Sovernet. Most recently he managed the Census in the state of Vermont.
Simon Ferguson has joined Travelport as new regional director for the UK and Ireland. Most recently a general manager for Travelzoo, which he joined this July, Mr. Ferguson was chief executive of publishing company Travel Weekly Group for seven years.
Tim James has been hired by EZYield as its new Regional Director of Sales for the United Kingdom and Ireland. Mr. James has over twenty years of travel and hospitality experience, most recently spending eight years as Director of Sales for Travelclick. He had earlier served various companies including First Option Hotel Reservations, Corporate Reservations Service and Expotel International.
Paul Mazzuchelli has joined SPI Software as Senior Project Manager. Mr. Mazzuchelli was most recently Senior Implementation Engineer at education financial and admin software vendor Fame, and had earlier held consulting and implementation management positions at several companies including Tek Partners, Campus Management, Alternative Resources Corp, The Sports Authority, Seagull Software and EDS.
The OpenTravel Alliance (OpenTravel) has announced its board of directors for 2011-2012, as follows:
* Chair – Stephen Joyce, CEO, Rezgo
* Vice Chair – Gianni Cataldo, VP and General Manager Americas, Datalex
* Treasurer – Andrew Rubinacci, VP, Distribution and Intermediary Sales, InterContinental Hotels Group
* Vincent Lextrait, Director Travel Services and Leisure, Amadeus
* Stuart Waldron, Architect, Information Technology ResNG, Amtrak
* Buddy Altus, Director Electronic Distribution, Online Marketing Group, Avis Budget Group
* Harold Dibler, Managing Director, Application Development, Information Services, Best Western International
* James White, Director Global Automation Marketing, Hertz
* Cindy Falschlehner, Global Product Executive, Office of Strategy & Technology, Business Solutions, HP
* Lisa Fues, Director of Reservations, Inventory and Distribution, Marriott International
* Lew Harasymiw, Esq., Director of Interface Solutions, Sabre Hospitality Solutions
* Vicki Bias, Manager of Technology, United/Continental Airlines
- Cedar Point Amusement Park implements MICROS’ OPERA and Simphony POS
- Orient-Express Hotels selects MICROS’ OPERA and POS for 49 properties
- Alrov Properties & Lodging to implement MICROS’ OPERA Enterprise for four hotels
- Fitzpatrick Hotel Group picks SoftBrands-Infor’s HMS for two properties
- buuteeq and HMS InfoTech form sales and marketing partnership
- NAU School of Hotel and Restaurant Management installs MSI’s WinPM GMS and Place Point POS
- Copper Mountain Resort selects Agilysys’ Visual One suite
The Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH has implemented MICROS Systems’ OPERA as the guest management system for its six lodging properties (Hotel Breakers, Sandcastle Suites, Lighthouse Point, Camper Village, Breakers Express and Castaway Bay), and Simphony for the park’s point of sale. Over 400 MICROS Workstations are implemented throughout the park’s restaurant and concession areas.
Orient-Express Hotels has selected MICROS’ OPERA and POS systems for its 49 properties. Deployment has already begun for properties in the US, Mexico and Cambodia.
Alrov Properties & Lodging will implement MICROS Systems’ OPERA Enterprise for its four hotels in Europe and Israel by 2013. Modules to be implemented include guest management, sales and catering and reservations, all hosted at MICROS’ data center in Frankfurt, Germany. The new 130-room Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam will kick off the project in the fall of 2011, followed by the 384-room David Citadel and 194-room Mamilla Hotel in Jerusalem. The 160-room café Royal Hotel in London is scheduled to open by year-end.
(www.cedarpoint.com, www.orient-express.com, www.alrov.co.il, www.micros.com)
The Fitzpatrick Hotel Group has chosen SoftBrands-Infor’s Hotel Management Solution (HMS) for its 91-room Fitzpatrick Manhattan and 155-room Fitzpatrick Grand Central properties. (www.fitzpatrickhotels.com, www.infor.com/hospitality)
buuteeq and HMS InfoTech have formed a sales and marketing partnership to offer their software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings jointly. HMS InfoTech’s Hotelogix is a cloud-based SaaS guest management system targeted at small and mid-sized properties; buuteeq’s Digital Marketing System enables hotel, inn and bed-and-breakfast staff to populate and manage marketing content on their websites, social media sites and mobile applications, and includes an integrated booking engine and reporting tools.
The School of Hotel and Restaurant Management in Northern Arizona University at Flagstaff, Ariz. has installed MSI’s WinPM guest management system and Place Point POS system in its computer laboratory.
Copper Mountain Resort in Copper Mountain, Colo. has selected Agilysys’ Visual One suite, including guest management, activities, club management, condominium management and spa management. The resort is also using Agilysys’ Guest eMarketing system for email campaigns and its Guest Express kiosks to expedite front desk check-in and check-out. (www.coppercolorado.com, www.agilysys.com)
- BACKBID lets travelers post existing hotel reservations, invite competitive bids
- Yellowstone Hotel Systems adds Digonex dynamic pricing to OpenBook reservation system
- InnPoints Worldwide and CARINO Hotels and Resorts merge
- Marriott announces “perfect travel companion” mobile app
- Sabre names nuTravel as a Preferred Booking Engine provider for North American agency clients
BACKBID has launched its online booking site in private beta mode, allowing travelers to post their existing hotel reservation and invite competitive bids from other properties. Because hotels can see the booking details and dates of committed travelers, they will be able to offer relevant add-ons (e.g. free meals, parking, upgrades, etc.) and private rates to entice guests to book with them and cancel their original reservation. (www.backbid.com)
Yellowstone Hotel Systems has integrated its OpenBook reservation system with Digonex’s dynamic pricing application, for automated control of inventory and rates based on factors such as competition, consumer purchasing behavior and property sales history. (www.digonex.com, www.openbook.net)
InnPoints Worldwide and CARINO Hotels and Resorts have merged under the banner of Centric Hospitality. Centric’s portfolio now includes InnPoints’ reservation and technology systems for independent hotels, CARINO Hotels and Resorts Worldwide and Qube Hotels. www.centrichospitality.com.
Marriott International has announced its “perfect travel companion,” a free mobile app for iPhone, BlackBerry and Android devices to help travelers find nearby hotels, book a room, check their upcoming reservations and manage their Marriott Rewards loyalty club accounts. (www.marriott.com/mobile)
Sabre Travel Network has designated online booking tool provider nuTravel as a Preferred Booking Engine provider for North American agency clients. NuTravel’s application provides agents with access to one-way, round-trip and multi-leg air searches by schedule or price, hotel searches based on airport proximity, property address, zip code or Points of Interest, and the ability to create and manage trips via Trip Templates. (www.nuTravel.com, www.sabretravelnetwork.com)
- Libra OnDemand to incorporate four new Salesforce.com functions
- Strand Development Corp implements Knowland Group’s Target Net at 23 properties
- Travelport to resell TravelClick Headline screen display advertising to Galileo, Worldspan
- Infor to deliver three applications built on Force.com social enterprise platform
- STR Analytics releases DataCast report, allowing user adjustments within data-driven parameters
- Las Vegas Sands picks SAS Analytics to support Patron Value Optimization
- TRX announces additional functions to Hotel Spend Management services
- StarCite launches Business Intelligence Suite
- Vizergy ranked # 4007 on Inc. 5,000 fastest-growing private companies
Libra OnDemand has announced that it will quickly incorporate four new functions to be released by Salesforce.com in October 2011:
- seamlessly connectivity to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Enhancements to the Chatter social collaboration tool, including Chatter Now (enabling users to see their colleagues online, instantly chat with them and share their screen) and Chatter Customer Groups, allowing users to invite people outside their organization into their secure, private network, such as a concierge linking to a golf course and a corporate accounting office.
- Data.com, an integration tool that unifies contact information from Jigsaw and company information from Dun & Bradstreet.
- Database.com Data Residency Option, allowing companies that want to take advantage of the cloud computing model to store sensitive data in their own environment.
Strand Development Corp has implemented The Knowland Group’s Target Net sales force automation tool at 23 of its 60 properties. (www.stranddevelopment.com, www.knowlandgroup.com)
Travelport has signed a multi-year contract for TravelClick to sell its Headline screen display advertising to travel agencies using Galileo and Worldspan GDSs. Headline was previously sold exclusively by Travelport. (www.travelclick.com, www.travelport.com)
Infor has announced that it will deliver three applications built on salesforce.com’s Force.com social enterprise platform; salesforce.com has invested in Infor as part of the agreement. The three systems are:
- InForce Everywhere, to bring ERP data (invoices, contacts, quotes, shipments, receivables, orders and RMAs ) into Salesforce and use Salesforce Chatter to interact with customers through social media
- InForce Order Management, a quote, order and proposal management application
- InForce Marketing, for global marketing, inbound and outbound campaign management and lead maturation integrated with Infor’s CRM Epiphany BI module.
STR Analytics has released its DataCast report, which allows users to adjust the forecast within data-driven parameters to evaluate market potential. DataCast also evaluates historical metrics and summarizes them in a visual readout.
Las Vegas Sands Corp. has selected SAS Analytics to support its Patron Value Optimization, using predictive analytics, data mining and graphical campaign management to speed campaign planning and execution using data from LVSC’s loyalty program, Grazie. (www.sas.com)
TRX has announced additional functions to its Hotel Spend Management services, including RFP sourcing, GDS availability and auditing, offered in conjunction with Lanyon. (www.trx.com)
StarCite has launched a Business Intelligence Suite for hotels and meetings suppliers, comprising five elements:
- Knowledge: A detailed view into all RFPs delivered by StarCite to a hotel property.
- Manage: Ability to monitor RFP response times to determine optimal staffing and training.
- Evaluate: Identifying whether a property is getting its fair share of activity in its local market.
- Analyze: detailed data on RFP trends such as win/loss ratio, how RFPs are being handled by a hotel sales force and year-over-year comparisons.
- Compete: Helps hotels rank their RFP response performance against their competitive set.
Internet marketing services provider Vizergy has been ranked # 4007 in Inc magazine’s ranking of the nation’s 5,000 fastest-growing private companies.
- Millennium & Copthorne extends IDeaS to five USA properties
- IDeaS integrates RMS with SiteMinder’s Channel Manager
- IDeaS releases version 6.0
- EZYield appoints Compass Edge its reseller and channel sales partner in mainland China
- Yellowstone Hotel Systems integrates OpenBook reservation system with Digonex’s dynamic pricing
- eRevMax International celebrates tenth corporate anniversary
- Rainmaker Group ranked # 2907 in Inc. 5,000
- HNA Hotels and Resorts in China picks EasyRMS
- PROS to incorporate competitive price data from Lixto
Millennium & Copthorne has extended its deployment of IDeaS Revenue Solutions Revenue Management System to five properties in the United States. It has been using IDeaS in the UK and Europe for over five years.
IDeaS has integrated its RMS with SiteMinder’s Channel Manager distribution software. Approved IDeaS pricing strategy recommendations can now be automatically forwarded to online travel agencies.
IDeaS has released version 6.0 of its Revenue Management System. Enhancements include new marketing campaign functionality, enhanced data visualization and scheduling capabilities.
(www.millenniumhotels.co.uk, www.siteminder.com, www.ideas.com)
EZYield has appointed Compass Edge as its reseller and channel sales partner in mainland China. EZYield’s Fuzionlink is claimed to be the first channel management system available in Chinese. (www.compass-edge.com, www.ezyield.com)
Yellowstone Hotel Systems has integrated its OpenBook reservation system with Digonex’s dynamic pricing application for automated control of inventory and rates based on factors such as competition, consumer purchasing behavior and property sales history. (www.digonex.com, www.openbook.net)
eRevMax International is celebrating its tenth corporate anniversary; its lead product, RateTiger, was launched shortly thereafter, in early 2002. eRevMax today has over 5000 clients in 65 countries and over 750 cities worldwide. (www.erevmax.com)
The Rainmaker Group has been ranked # 2907 in Inc magazine’s ranking of the nation’s 5,000 fastest-growing private companies.
HNA Hotels and Resorts in China has selected Easy (Ez) Revenue Management Solutions (EasyRMS) for its TANGLA Hotel Beijing and HNA Business Hotel Downtown Haikou properties, each with 380 rooms. Both properties are deploying the EZRMS Core Module, Ez-QUOTE, Ez-BUDGET and Ez-REGION; an upload interface to HNA’s proprietary PMS is being developed by the EasyRMS team in conjunction with HNA’s technical team in Beijing, and is expected to be completed in early 2012. HNA recently acquired a 20% share of NH Hoteles in Spain and will develop the NH brand in China. HNA also works closely with InterContinental and manages over 20 properties in both China and Europe for its international partners. (www.hnahotel.com, www.easyrms.com)
PROS is incorporating competitive price data from Lixto into its price optimization software. (www.lixto.com, www.prospricing.com)
- Revel Entertainment selects Passkey’s GroupMAX for new resort
- National Center for Educational Development, Oklahoma City picks The Knowland Group’s Target Net
- TRX announces additional functions for Hotel Spend Management
Revel Entertainment, owners of a 20-acre resort set to open in Spring 2012, has selected Passkey’s GroupMAX as its group booking engine. The resort will have well over 1,000 rooms; over 50 dining, retail, spa and theater locations, and multiple clubs and bars. (www.revelresorts.com/meetings, www.passkey.com)
The National Center for Educational Development Conference Center & Hotel (NCED) in Oklahoma City has selected The Knowland Group’s Target Net for sales force automation. The hotel offers more than 20,000 square feet of meeting space in meeting rooms ranging in size from 700 to over 9,000 square feet, plus two ballrooms. (cc.nced.com, www.KnowlandGroup.com)
TRX has announced additional functions for its Hotel Spend Management services, including RFP sourcing, GDS availability and auditing, offered in conjunction with Lanyon. (www.trx.com)
- Cedar Point Amusement Park implements MICROS’ Simphony POS and OPERA
- Vienna International Hotelmanagement selects MICROS for POS and Materials Control
The Cedar Point Amusement Park has implemented MICROS Systems’ Simphony for the park’s point of sale and OPERA as the guest management system for the park’s six lodging properties (Hotel Breakers, Sandcastle Suites, Lighthouse Point, Camper Village, Breakers Express and Castaway Bay). Over 400 MICROS Workstations are implemented throughout the park’s restaurant and concession areas.
Vienna International Hotelmanagement AG has selected MICROS as the preferred technology vendor for POS and Materials Control at its 33 hotels and resorts across Europe.
- Quadriga acquires SmoovieTV
- Quadriga to launch 3D video on-demand system
- Atlantic Resort and Spa installs FlyteBoard and FlytePass
- The Pierre, New York installs Bartech automatic minibars
- Guest-Tek licenses Blue Pond Media’s ACT: Art, Culture & Travel HD Video programming
- Morgans adds Intelity ICE to Delano in Miami, Hudson in New York
- SuiteLinq interfaces with HotSOS for guest request fulfillment
- FCS appoints Fentons as its partner in Sri Lanka
- Aloft New York Brooklyn implements VingCard Elsafe’s VISIONLINE locks, Orion energy management
- Hilton Dallas installs guestLINK connectivity panels in all 500 guestrooms
- Hyatt Regency Sacramento implements PSAV managed network services
- KoolConnect introduces multi-modular 1Connect in-room services
- TiVUS debuts free-to-hotel ad-supported e-SmartRoom IPTV, HSIA and 42” TV
Quadriga has acquired SmoovieTV, providers of patented TV paywall technology to the hospitality and healthcare markets that allows properties to offer access to pre-pay TV channels. SmoovieTV currently provides service to approximately 27,000 guest rooms in Europe, supported by a network of distributors.
Quadriga has announced plans to launch a 3D video on-demand system for hospitality, to be provided through its Sensiq guest communication and entertainment technology, working in partnership with Samsung Electronics. A joint solution from LG will follow shortly.
The Atlantic Resort and Spa in Fort Lauderdale, FL has installed Flyte Systems’ FlyteBoard and FlytePass systems, showing real-time airline flight information for three airports (Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, Palm Beach International, and Miami International) and allowing guests to print boarding passes. (www.atlantichotelfl.com, www.flytesystems.com)
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, in New York has installed customized versions of Bartech’s CH41 Side Dry 9 automatic minibars in all 189 guestrooms, following a $100 million modernization. (www.tajhotels.com/pierre, www.bartech.com)
Guest-Tek has licensed Blue Pond Media’s new HD Video offering, ACT: Art, Culture & Travel programming for its One View Media Video-On-Demand platform, worldwide. The ACT suite includes programming from around the world featuring original art and artists, culture programs and travel scenery. (bluepondmedia.com, www.guest-tek.com)
Morgans Hotel Group has added Intelity ICE to two more properties, the Delano in Miami (on an iPad in each room) and Hudson in New York through a version downloadable to the guests’ laptops. (www.morganshotelgroup.com, www.intelitycorp.com)
SuiteLinq has interfaced with MTech’s HotSOS for fulfillment of guest requests made though its interactive portal on TVs, desktop computers, touchscreen devices and mobile applications. (www.m-tech.com, www.suitelinq.com)
FCS has appointed systems integrator Fentons Ltd as its partner in Sri Lanka, to promote the full range of FCS products. (www.fentons.com, www.fcscs.com)
Starwood’s new 176-room Aloft New York Brooklyn has implemented VingCard Elsafe’s VISIONLINE wireless RF-online locking system as part of its Smart Check-In program, which uses RFID-enabled Starwood Preferred Guest ID cards to let guests bypass the front desk upon arrival. The Aloft has also installed VingCard Elsafe’s Orion energy management technology, integrated with the locking system. (www.alofthotels.com, www.vingcardelsafe.com)
The Hilton Dallas has installed guestLINK connectivity panels in all 500 guestrooms. (www.hilton.com/Dallas-TX, www.guestlink-cii.com)
The Hyatt Regency Sacramento has implemented PSAV Presentation Services’ managed network services property-wide, including the delivery of wired and wireless High Speed Internet Access to its 28,000 square feet of function space and 503 guestrooms. The property has used PSAV for meeting room/audio-visual support for the past ten years. (sacramento.hyatt.com, www.psav.com)
KoolConnect has introduced its 1Connect concept that allows hotels to source all of their in-room technology needs from one vendor and to ensure that all of those systems work together. 1Connect’s suite of in-room modules, available individually or as a complete package include:
* HD Free-to-Guest TV (via IP or Coax)
* Video on Demand
* HD Televisions
* iPad Solutions
* Mobile (iPhone and Android) Applications
* High-Speed Internet Access
* Network Services (Ethernet and IP-over-Coax)
* Home Theatre and DVD Player Integration
* Single Remote Controls For All Devices
* Digital Signage
* TrueWeb Internet Entertainment Over The TV
* Media Hubs
* Electronic Programming Guide (EPG)
* Personal Video Recording (PVR)
Omaha-based TiVUS has debuted its free-to-hotel ad-supported e-SmartRoom, which provides HD IPTV in-room internet and entertainment content with ad-insertion technology and 42″ flat-screen HDTVs. Guest services include in-room movie rentals, free-to-guest (HD) channels, iPad interfaces, wireless internet (multiple devices) and access to an in-room fax/printer. Tivus has secured certain content rights to insert ads from a national level to individually targeted consumer ads. (www.tivus.com)
- Hotel Bel-Air in Beverly Hills, California installing InvoTech Systems’ GIMS Uniform System
The Hotel Bel-Air in Beverly Hills, California is installing InvoTech Systems’ GIMS Uniform System inventory software with UHF RFID tags in all garment items as part of its two-year renovation, due to be completed in mid-October. (www.hotelbelair.com, www.invotech.com)
- Encelium Technologies introduces new range of low-voltage occupancy sensors
- Vienna International Hotelmanagement selects MICROS as preferred technology vendor for Materials Control
- InterContinental launches version 2.0 of Innovation Hotel online showcase
Encelium Technologies has introduced a new range of low-voltage occupancy sensors, which includes passive infrared (PIR) and dual technology (Ultrasonic/PIR) low-voltage sensors in both wall mount and ceiling mount configurations. The sensors can be used with Encelium’s Energy Control System or as stand-alone sensor applications for non-ECS projects. When used within the ECS architecture, sensor parameters including time-outs, support zones, integration with time schedules, sharing of occupancy data with building management systems and zone control, using Encelium’s Polaris 3D software. (www.encelium.com)
Vienna International Hotelmanagement AG has selected MICROS as the preferred technology vendor for Materials Control and POS at its 33 hotels and resorts across Europe. (www.vi-hotels.com, www.micros.com)
IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) has launched version 2.0 of its Innovation Hotel online showcase and creative hub for sustainable hotel design using sustainable technologies. Enhancements include real-life hotel case studies of how IHG hotels are implementing sustainable ideas, such as the InterContinental San Francisco’s Zipcar Toyota Prius for guest use and the Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport’s roof-top herb garden watered by AC condensate. Other features include further integration with Green Engage, IHG’s environmental management system, and added opportunities for guests to collaborate and share ideas through social media such as Facebook and Twitter. (www.ichotelsgroup.com)
- Hotel Bel-Air in Beverly Hills, California installs InvoTech Systems’ SAMS Security System
- ASSA ABLOY’s Mobile Keys Solution best Self-Service Product in Casino Enterprise Management magazine’s HOT Awards
The Hotel Bel-Air in Beverly Hills, California is installing InvoTech Systems’ SAMS Security System as part of its two-year renovation, due to be completed in mid-October. SAMS includes key tracking, visitor logs, dispatch logs, incident reports, lost & found and lockers & locks. (www.hotelbelair.com, www.invotech.com)
ASSA ABLOY’s newly launched Mobile Keys Solution using VingCard Elsafe electronic locks won the Self-Service Products category in Casino Enterprise Management magazine’s annual Hospitality Operations Technology (HOT) Awards. The Mobile Keys Solution combines VingCard Elsafe’s VISIONLINE system, RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) and advanced NFC (Near Field Communication) technology to let hotel guests check-in remotely via computers or web-enabled mobile devices, then bypass the front desk at check-in by using their NFC-enabled mobile phones as virtual guestroom keys. Guests’ hotel room numbers and digital encrypted hotel keys are sent to their mobile phone. (www.vingcardelsafe.com)