August 7, 2007
|In this issue…
People on the Move
Property Management Systems
Marketing / Management
Sales & Catering, Meeting Planning
F&B / POS
JULY 24 – AUGUST 07, 2007
TOP O’ THE NEWS
- Online booking still gaining on other channels, per TravelCLICK
With hotel business continuing to expand, more reservations of all types are being made, but online booking is still gaining market share from other channels, according to TravelCLICK’s 2007 first quarter eTRAK results.
The Internet contributed 41.2% of all Central Reservation System (CRS) reservations for major hotel brands, a 21.9% increase over the same period in 2006. The GDS systems remain a significant but slow-growing factor with 35.7% of the total, while voice bookings, accounting for the remaining 23.1%, declined 4.8% over the same period. Brand websites continued to gain share compared to third-party merchant and opaque websites, providing 82.3% of the brands’ centrally-booked Internet reservations.
The report concludes that:
– Electronic bookings show no signs of slowing down, making an electronic distribution strategy a crucial part of any hotel’s business plan.
– Hotel websites have become the center of the industry’s sales and marketing efforts.
– The voice channel is benefiting from Web synergies, since although call volume continues to decrease conversion rates are increasing due to more educated customers.
- Alan Young named President of Kuikene.com
- Keith Povah hired as Director of Sales at Rate Tiger
Alan Young has been named President of Kuikene.com, the recently formed parent company of online marketing and media divisions A Couple of Chicks e-Marketing and Online Revealed. Mr. Young has 24 years of hospitality industry experience, most recently as Vice President, Supply Partners with Hotel Booking Solutions Inc. He had earlier served as VP Development with HIS, VP Hotel Systems and Integration at Newtrade Technologies and Business Development Manager for Micros-Fidelio’s partner in the Caribbean. He began his career in management roles with General Mills Restaurants, The Four Seasons Hotels Group and Australia’s Weller Hotels.
Keith Povah has been hired as Director of Sales at Rate Tiger, based in its new European headquarters in London. He brings over 30 years of hospitality experience, most recently with KP Service Solutions and JAC Travel where he was Director and Head of Sales respectively. Mr. Povah had previously managed his own hotels, as well as holding key positions with ACCOR, Le Meridien and the Best Western Lodge Hotel.
- Best Western Listel Whistler Hotel selects SoftBrands’ Medallion
- World Web Technologies releases online video tutorials for WebRezPro PMS
- Hecla Oasis Resort implementing Northwind’s Maestro Enterprise Suite
The Best Western Listel Whistler Hotel in Whistler, B.C., Canada has selected SoftBrands’ Medallion PMS. Best Western International endorsed Medallion earlier this year following certification of the Medallion Best Western two-way interface. (www.listelhotel.com, www.softbrands.com)
World Web Technologies has announced a range of online video tutorials for its WebRezPro Web-based PMS. (www.webrezpro.com)
The Hecla Oasis Resort is implementing Northwind’s Maestro Enterprise Suite, including PMS, Analytics Business Intelligence, ResEze Web Booking Engine, Sales and Catering and Spa and Activities Management. The resort, a renovation of Gull Harbour which is due to open in September, includes an 18-hole golf course, European day spa with wellness-center programs, eco tours, a culinary studio, indoor and outdoor water parks, pet spa and conference center. (www.heclaoasis.com, www.maestropms.com)
- Kor picks SynXis RedX for distribution management and PMS-revenue management interface
- Hilton and Intercontinental receive first bookings via DerbySoft reservation switch
- Voyages Hotels & Resorts picks TravelCLICK for central reservations and Internet distribution
The Kor Hotel Group has contracted with SynXis to use its RedX Distribution Management System to link its properties to all channels, including GDSs, third party travel sites, the hotels’ own reservation centers and Kor’s own website. Kor will also us the RedX Property Connect link to interface its SoftBrands Epitome PMS and IDeaS V5i revenue management system. (www.korhotelgroup.com, www.synxis.com)
Hilton and Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) have received their first reservations via Chinese vendor DerbySoft’s reservation switch. Chinese travel agencies can use DerbySoft to book rooms with both IHG and Hilton CRSs domestically and worldwide. This is the first internet/XML switch interface for IHG outside of the U.S., and the first for Hilton in Asia. (www.hilton.com, www.ihg.com, www.derbysoft.com/en/index.html)
Voyages Hotels & Resorts has chosen TravelCLICK for central reservations and Internet distribution services for select properties throughout Australia, using iHotelier central reservations system for website reservations and ChannelDirect to update rates and inventory across multiple third-party Internet sites. (www.voyages.com.au, www.travelclick.net)
- Hyatt extends online marketing contract with VRX Studios for additional three years
- Ocean Properties picks ICE Portal (ICE) to produce, manage, host, and deliver rich content
Global Hyatt has extended its online marketing contract with VRX Studios for an additional three years until July 2010. The contract covers 211 Hyatt hotels and all future properties; VRX will produce and manage 360-degree virtual tours, still images, and interactive maps as well as distribute Hyatt’s portfolio of VRX images to third party travel sites. (www.hyatt.com, www.vrxstudios.com)
Ocean Properties has selected ICE Portal (ICE) to produce, manage, host, and deliver rich content for the chain’s hotels and resorts, including 360-degree hi-resolution virtual tours and photos. Ocean Properties operates over 100 hotels in the US and Canada, primarily under the AmeriSuites, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Marriott, and Sheraton brands. (www.oplhotels.com, www.ICEportal.com)
- Mid-America Apartment Communities completes installation of Rainmaker’s revolution LRO
- Expo Hotels & Resorts orders EzRMS’ Internet Suite for two Barcelona properties
Mid-America Apartment Communities has completed installation of The Rainmaker Group’s revolution LRO revenue optimization system throughout all of its nearly 140 properties, running on an application service provider (ASP) basis hosted at Rainmaker’s SunGard facility. (www.maac.net, www.letitrain.com)
Expo Hotels & Resorts has ordered EzRMS’ Internet Suite for two of its three Barcelona properties, the Expo Torre Catalunya and Expo Hotel Barcelona. The group operates ten hotels throughout Spain. (www.expogrupo.com, www.easyrms.com)
- ReServe Interactive develops two-way interface with ClubSoft
- Newmarket releases Connex application to link Delphi to Salesforce.com
- Metro Toronto Convention Centre goes live with IMAP’s 3D Interactive Floor Plan & Mapping
ReServe Interactive has developed a comprehensive two-way interface with ClubSoft for the real-time sharing of customer and event sales activity data. New events entered into ReServe will automatically pull membership information from ClubSoft; as events move forward selections such as room reservations, catering orders and event size are automatically shared with ClubSoft’s accounting system to avoid data re-entry. (www.reserveinteractive.com, www.clubsoftinc.com)
Newmarket has released its Connex application for Salesforce.com’s AppExchange library, linking Delphi to Salesforce.com to share lead information and customer information fields. The sales office users will be able to source group request-for-proposals (RFPs) from opportunities within Salesforce; RFPs, responses and booked groups and meetings business are all seamlessly exchanged with Salesforce. (www.salesforce.com, www.newmarketinc.com)
The Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC) has gone live with IMAP multimedia’s 3D Interactive Hotel and Conference Facility Floor Plan & Mapping application. The customized system was designed to help clients and meeting planners visualize the MTCC and assist in making educated decisions when organizing their events. (www.mtcc.com, www.imapenterprise.com)
- Hilton Waikaloa implements ReServe ‘s Dining Reservation and Table Management software
- Carlson Restaurants implements MICROS’s mymicros.net solution for T.G.I. Friday’s
- Retail Solutions Providers Association’s 2007 Awards of Excellence go to MICROS Systems, CRS and Posera
The Hilton Waikaloa has implemented ReServe Interactive’s Dining Reservation and Table Management software. (www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com, www.reserveinteractive.com)
Carlson Restaurants Worldwide has implemented MICROS’s mymicros.net solution for its T.G.I. Friday’s restaurant brand. The centrally hosted application was installed at all 300 company-owned United States locations within four days earlier this year, providing local access to hosted applications for point-of-sale, data warehousing, business intelligence and other business applications and content. (www.micros.com)
The Retail Solutions Providers Association’s 2007 RSPA Awards of Excellence were announced as:
– Systems/Software Gold: MICROS Systems, Inc.
– Silver: CRS, Inc.
– Bronze: Posera
RSPA Awards of Excellence are the only awards in the retail technology industry where dealers vote for their favorite vendors. (www.rspassn.org)
- SpaSoft 220.127.116.11 now certified to interface with DataWorks’ NeXT inventory management system
PAR Springer-Miller Systems SpaSoft 18.104.22.168 now has a certified interface to DataWorks’ NeXT inventory management system, using XML messaging via SMS|Diplomat. Inventory items created in DataWorks flow in real time into the SpaSoft System via SMS|Diplomat, and all SpaSoft POS transactions are reported automatically to DataWorks. (www.springermiller.com, www.dataworksinc.com)
- Marriott extends free free WiFi for guests in lobbies and other public areas across five brands
- Dometic and Minibar Systems call off joint venture to distribute Dometic’s AutoClassic
Marriott has extended free guest room high-speed and WiFi Internet access at its Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites brands to now include free WiFi for guests in lobbies and other public areas. (www.marriott.com)
Dometic and Minibar Systems have ended their joint venture to distribute Dometic’s AutoClassic fully automated refreshment center, leaving Dometic as the sole distributor of the AutoClassic worldwide. (www.minibar.com)
- Teledex iPhones certified compliant with Avaya IP telephony systems
- MGM MIRAGE picks NEC Unified Solutions for new IP telecommunications at Luxor and Excalibur
Teledex announced that its iPhone LD4200 SIP display phones and ND2200 non-display SIP phones are compliant with Avaya IP telephony systems using Avaya Communication Manager 4.0 IP telephony software and Avaya SIP Enablement Services 3.1.2. (www.teledex.com)
MGM MIRAGE has selected NEC Unified Solutions to provide new IP telecommunications for the Luxor Hotel & Casino and Excalibur Hotel & Casino properties, covering nearly 8,500 hotel rooms. The two properties plan to upgrade their existing NEC TDM systems to the UNIVERGE NEAX 2400 IPX, a customized hybrid TDM/IP platform, adding expanded voicemail capacity, enhanced wake-up-call features, fully integrated attendant consoles to support reservations and an integrated contact center solution with Automatic Call Distribution (ACD). (www.mgmmirage.com, www.necunified.com)